Re: repost: MS-Query dosn't see my synonyms...

From: Stephen Lappin <SL_at_rtel.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 13:31:08 +0000

In article <2E41212F_at_f011244.france.ncr.com>

           mgold_at_postenep.france.NCR.COM "GOLD Michael" writes:

> Please excuse this repost....
> Stuck between the horns of a dilemma...
>
> I was puttering around with Microsoft Query one day, and found that one of
> the tables that I see normally using SQL*Plus is not listed as a table in
> MS-Query and is inaccessible.
>
> When I investigated using SQL*plus I found out that the table I asked for
> was in fact a synonym. But the table for which this synonym refers doesn't
> exist.
>
> And when I looked using MS-Query for synonyms I couldnt see the synonym I
> wanted.
>
> I checked out the FAQ but I couldn't seem to find an answer.
>
> What can I do to see the synonym I'm looking for? Can I convert this
> orphaned synonym to a table? Should I not touch this at all?

I have found similar problems with MS-Access and Visual Basic. This is my understanding;

  • If SQLPASSTHROUGH is used, you should have no problems, although you will not be able to edit the table.
  • If SQLPASSTHROUGH is not used, then ODBC will take over responsibility for resoloving the table name (not very well)
    • If a table has a synonym with the same name (eg CREATE SYNONYM dept FOR scott.dept), and you query on DEPT, the driver cannot resolve the table name. It thinks that there are two objects of the same name.
    • If your table name and synonym are different (eg CREATE SYNONYM dept_table FOR scott.dept) and you query the synonym, the resulting dynaset is read-only.
--
Stephen Lappin

+-----------------+  Scotland U.K.          Fax: +44 (0)41 331 2509