Re: How to connect to ORACLE server using PowerBuilder 3.0

From: Larry Fishman <larryf_at_teleport.com>
Date: 4 Aug 1994 04:30:42 -0700

The discussion below seems to imply SQLNET V1. I am using SQLNET V2 for Windows using TCP/IP. I have not tried the connect string with the port address specified mentioned below. I do know, though, that a SQLNET V2 connect string does not seem to work in PB. So I have been using the SET variables in my AUTOEXEC.BAT (i.e. REMOTE,LOCAL) to point to the tnsnames.ora descriptor for the database I desire to use. Since you always execute your ORACLE.INI file before firing up SQLNET, my workaround includes a short query as to which Oracle db to point to and either modifying or copying over the existing ORACLE.INI with the appropriate changes.

I'll try the connect string mentioned below and see what happens.

Larry.

Paul Krikorian (paulk_at_uhura.dis.cccd.edu) wrote:
: In article <31hekl$ohd_at_news.icaen.uiowa.edu>,
: Bhaskar Venkata Cholasamudram <bhaskar_at_icaen.uiowa.edu> wrote:
: >I am trying to connect to an ORACLE server using Powerbuilder3.0.
: >The powerbuilder I have runs on a PC that has TCP/Ip installed. And I would
: >like to connect to an ORACLE server on the internet. How do I go about doing
: >that. I followed some of the instructions provided by PowerBuilder and
: >tried setting the database preferences.
: >The string to connect to an Oracle server was given as
: >_at_T:servername.
: >I am a complete novice at connecting to a remote database server.
: >I would really appreciate any pointers to connect to the
: >remote oracle server.

: You need another piece of middleware called SQL*Net that you must get from
: Oracle. There is other software that can be used instead of Oracle's
: SQL*Net but I really don't know anything about them. Also, your connection
: string should probably be more like _at_T:serveraddress/port:databasename.

: If you have any problems setting up SQL*Net, let me know.

: Good luck.

: --
: Paul Krikorian | Internet: paulk_at_uhura.dis.cccd.edu
: Coast Community College District | (or paulk_at_cccd.edu)
: 1370 Adams Ave. | Voice: (714) 432-5150
: Costa Mesa, CA 92626, USA | Fax: (714) 432-5062

--
larryf_at_teleport.COM