Re: SQL*NET over dial-in

From: Alastair Newson <anewson_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 07:30:15 GMT

I asked our technical contact questions this morning about remote dial-up. (It was our bi-annual face-to-face). I've got the technical possibilities on paper for a SLIP/PPP version, but havn't tried it yet. We discussed SQL*Net 2: this may offer more but SQL*Net Async will require a 'protocol adaptor' to work with SQL*Net 2. They didn't know what kind of future SQL*Net Asyn had as there is little use of it. At which point I explained that dial-up async access is just becoming realistic as the modem speeds are so much better. She said they would come back with information about this, and see if they can find any sites that have sucessful dial-up access working. As with a lot of things at Oracle if you want an area developed you have to make the nosies to show that 'someone out there' is interested in it.

Alastair Newson             'When the best leader's work is
done, Technical Projects Manager          the people say, Glaxo Pharms UK
Ltd              "We did it ourselves!"'
44-81-990-3023 Received on Fri Aug 05 1994 - 09:30:15 CEST

Original text of this message