File corruption on Novell LAN/SQL*NET

From: Francois Turbide <ac159_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 18:14:04 GMT

Our problem is file corruption on a Novell 3.11 file server.

First let me describe the architecture.

The database is ORACLE7 running on an HP 9000/725. The client is a

PowerBuilder application using SQL*Net TCP/IP for Windows to

communicate with the database. LAN topology is TOKEN-RING. The

host protocol is TCP/IP. The client protocols are IPX/SPX first

and then TCP/IP. We are using netx.exe and LAN Workplace TCP/IP

protocol stack. The PowerBuilder applications, SQL*NET for Windows

and LAN Workplace all reside on a Novell 3.11 server.

The following is a rough network diagram

                   NW311

                   File Server

        	     |IPX/SPX

	             |TCP/IP

	HP-UX -------o------  NW W/S

	TCP/IP  <-SQL*NET->   IPX/SPX

	           TCP/IP     TCP/IP

Attempted fixes:

  Only Read and Filescan granted to users

  All files flagged to Read Only and Sharable

  Potentially incompatible applications have been removed from the

   client workstations (AfterDark for Windows)

  All workstations updated with most recent network drivers

  Downed the file server and ran vrepair

  Checked security to make sure nobody was tapering with the files...

  The only fixe that works is complete replacement of the files

    in the affected directory.

Other clues:

  When the problem does occur, flags on the application directory

    files go from read only sharable to read only.

  Lately, with regular monitoring, we've noticed that specific

    files are affected. They are: the 2 compiled PowerBuilder EXEs

    and 2 compiled .PDBs and PBORA030.DLL.

As we learn what files to replace, we experience less down time.

Is anybody else experiencing similar problems?

Francois (Frank) Turbide

ac159_at_freenet.carleton.ca

office 613-954-5837 fax 613-952-2814