Re: ORA-3113 End of Communication Channel

From: Jeremy Eric Mortis <mortis_at_acs.ucalgary.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 23:43:47 GMT

Purushothaman Balakrishnan (balakrpa_at_ucunix.san.uc.edu) wrote:
> I frequently face this problem when I connect to Oracle using TCP/IP
> as the protocol. We have installed Oracle 7 on Sun Solaris and Windows NT
> and connect from client machines using SQL*Net TCP/IP. I am able to log on
> properly to the server and see tables in my schema. After a while, the connection dies out and the above error message is displayed. This happens only when
> using third party tools like MS Query, Enterprise Developer etc.

> Even if the "NETINIT7.EXE" program supplied by Oracle is used, the problem
> still persists. Are there any parameters which can be set on the server/client
> side which can remove this problem?

We got this message when we had global session tracing turned on and the trace table filled up. Turning trace off and on fixed the problem. It's rather a pain, because you have to terminate Oracle to do it!

 Jeremy E. Mortis                           Internet: mortis_at_acs.ucalgary.ca
 Financial Information Services                        Phone: (403) 220-4423
 University of Calgary Computing Services                Fax: (403) 282-9361