Re: Help, triggers in ProFORTRAN

From: Bjorn Engsig <bengsig_at_dk.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 08:01:10 GMT

Article <1994Aug1.131902.21641_at_icf.hrb.com> by mmm_at_icf.hrb.com (MAX M. MAGLIARO) says:
|I am writing a precompiled application (ProFORTRAN) and I would like to
|create a trigger such that I will get some sort of asynchronous event
|inside my code any time another user modifies my database.
There isn't a direct way to get an asynchronous event, but by using either the dbms_pipe or dbms_alert supplied package (appendix A in Applc. Dev. Guide) you can can do a similar thing. Your trigger should either write to a pipe or fire an alert, for which your Pro*Fortran program is waiting.

| Further, it looks like
|the embedded CREATE TRIGGER statement in my ProFORTRAN forces me to
|precompile the code with the SEMANTICS switch set, which means I must
|have access to all the tables referenced in the code when I compile
|it.
Yes, that's how it works. Another option is to use DECLARE TABLE statements in your Pro*Fortran program. See your Precompiler guide for more information.

--
Disclaimer:  Although I work for ORACLE, I am sending this only in my technical
	     interest to help others on The Net.  All opinions are my own.