SQL*NET & protocol packets

From: K.Sundsvik <m12073_at_dolomitt.und.st.statoil.no>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 1994 14:54:45 GMT

Do you have any experience with tuning Oracle Sql*net over tcp/ip to get it to run satisfactorily via WAN or Satellite ?

There are two main problems :

  1. Flip/flop protocol exchanges between client and server, using small packets and acknowledging each one. Typically 300 packets backwards and forwards before we see the sql SELECT statement.
  2. With large amounts of data to be sent from the db-server, it seems the tcp window mechanism is mis-used. For a start it is always 4K, and even then the client seems to want to tcp ACK after each ethernet packet (1460 bytes user data) is received. Looking at an FTP trace on the same machines, FTP sends out a complete TCP window (larger than 4K too) before an ACK for the last packet comes in.

Problem 1 has been discussed earlier on comp.client-server, a company called Logica Cambridge fount it necessary to throw out Sql*net and write their own version. Our vendor wouldn't go quite that far, and recommends v1.5 pre-compiler with UPIALL, which should cut down the traffic by bunching all variable and field checks into one packet with the select.

Do you have any experience with one of these problems ? Can you recommend a solution ?

Please answer by mail.

Kristin

 ksun_at_statoil.no             |   'My life is based
 Statoil, Norway             |    on a true story.'
 'Sail the world - or die !' |    - S.I.Setterdahl