Re: DBA Monitoring Tools

From: Mark Citron <mcitron_at_hsc.usc.edu>
Date: 1 Aug 1994 10:48:45 -0700

>In article <319mnd$4bo_at_search01.news.aol.com> tiborvari_at_aol.com (TiborVari) writes:

This is not to take anything away from ecotools but I was put off by them for two reasons:

  1. Their *starting* price was $25,000 which seems steep to me for a product whose value is going to be determined as it is used. Who knows what is going to come along next year? It is just too high to take a chance on.
  2. It does not run on SCO unix. It will monitor databases under SCO BUT as I understand it you must have a least one of some OTHER type of machine like SUN or DEC. We are an SCO shop because be believe it offers the best price/performance (hardware and software combo) so this is the knockout punch for ecotools for us.

Mark Citron
Childrens Hospital Los Angeles

--
Mark Citron