Re: Moving a tablespace to another drive !

From: Ramesh <rkrishna_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 25 Jul 1994 23:24:01 GMT

In article <310fa4$7ju_at_netserver.univ-lille1.fr> Yves.Noel_at_univ-lille1.fr writes:

>Hi all DBA's
>
>The scenario : one tablespace (content : rollback segments and temporary files)
>which has been increased three times with a new file, so it contains now 4 files
>(with the command : alter tablespace xxx add datafile ...).
>Today I've new drives and I want in particular to move this tablespace and it's
>four files on a new drive.
>Can somebody tell me the differents stages to do this ? Thanks in advance.
>
>Email: Yves.Noel_at_univ-lille1.fr

You can use the Alter database rename file command to do this. The steps you have to follow are

  1. Shut down the database and re-start with the mount exclusive option;

   (This is suggested to avoid anybody else from accessing the data files)

2) Copy the physical data files to the new drive using the O/S command.

   (the cp command if you are running unix) 3) Issue the command Alter Database Rename File

   '<full path name of the file(old)>'
to '<full path name of the file(new)>';

Repeat the step for all the data files in question.

4) Shutdown and re-start the database.

   If you are using V7 of Oracle , you can also use the SQL*DBA dialog box    from the dba menu screen.

  In either case , the rename command only changes the pointers in the   control file. Hence ,please ensure that you have physically copied the   files from the old directory to the new directory , before issuing the   Alter database rename command.

Hope this helps

Ramesh Krishnamurthy Received on Tue Jul 26 1994 - 01:24:01 CEST

Original text of this message