Re: FORM CALL FROM

From: Jodi Showers <jshowers_at_cmi.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 15:42:35 GMT

In article <30m118$sa_at_cs3.brookes.ac.uk>, p0070621_at_brookes.ac.uk (wareing pti) wrote:

> wu litao (litao_at_CS.ColoState.EDU) wrote:
> > I have a naive Form 3 problem, form call form.
> > The syntax can be simple like call(form_name).
> > My questions are:
> > 1. Does the form_name need to exist in Database or current directory?
> > That is how to search this called form.
>
> It's accessed using the normal search procedure for your operating system.
> So you can use environment variables, full path names, whatever you like.
> (We tend to use such things as $FORMPATH_VAL/VAL_wibble, this being
> UNIX).
>
> > 2. Do I have to declare this "form_name" in calling form since I
> > have met PL/SQL error in my key-enter trigger
> > saying identifier 'form_name' must be declared
> > though this 'form_name' exists in both Database and current directory?
> > If I have to declare, how?
>
> Nope, you need to put quotes around the form name. eg with my example above:
> call_form('$FORMPATH_VAL/VAL_wibble);

Just a watchout...

On Pyramid, Sequent, and perhaps other ports in Forms3 the child form, upon exit, will
NOT release memory(other resources?) allocated. As a matter of fact, even when the
parent dies, the childs memory will be held onto - until reboot!

I understand this is a V6 prob, and has not surfaced in V7.

So avoid Forms calling Forms if you can, or be prepared for your regularly schedule shut-down.
same bat channell, same bat time!

JJS. (jshowers_at_cmi.on.ca)
P.S. this issue may be related to the <defunct> (zombie) and Pro*language issue.