QUESTION : Building large Oracle indices

From: Cathryn Symons <cathryn_at_unisys.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 04:00:12 GMT

Greetings,

I am working with a client who has a large Oracle database (about 40GB). I am trying to plan a reorganisation of that database, including rebuilding some of the indices.

The index is over two fields, a number and a date. Currently, the index takes up about 1.7GB.
We will be running on a 6 processor SPARCServer 1000, with 512MB RAM. I expect to put the sort area size up to about 250MB.

Questions:
How long should it take to build this index? Is there any advantage in making the sort area size larger than 250MB?

Thanks for your help. If people email me, I will summarise and repost.

Regards,

Cathryn Received on Thu Jul 21 1994 - 06:00:12 CEST

Original text of this message