From: David J. Gimpelevich <davidgi_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 00:26:44 GMT

Well, I have finally got a enough responses for a meaningful summary.

The consensus is, from about 3 respondents, that using the OS mirroring on Oracle files is just dandy and even improves performance.

Two of the respondents were using Sequent and one was on Pyramid. One additinal repondent was using, or considering using, RAID 5 on HP9000.

The Pyramid user reported some performance improvement. The RAID user eas anticipating degradation.

Oracle personnel were remarkable by their absense...

However, some questions remain:

Is Oracle7's log mirroring preferrable to using OS to mirror the logs (independently of the rest of the files)?

Can any OS mirroring system handle raw partitions?

What would happen, i.e. would the database become inconsisent in any of the following situations?

	sudden power failure during a write
	sudden disk/controller failure during a write

I guess I would now feel somewhat justified in recommending mirroring, even if somewhat guardedly.

-djg Received on Tue Jul 19 1994 - 02:26:44 CEST

Original text of this message