Re: Summary: Oracle and Disk Mirroring

From: RCronau <rcronau_at_aol.com>
Date: 19 Jul 1994 00:51:12 -0400

In article <1994Jul19.002644.10921_at_rossinc.com>, davidgi_at_rossinc.com (David J. Gimpelevich) writes:

>Can any OS mirroring system handle raw partitions?

I doubt it. I believe that the definition of a raw partition is that the OS file system is bypassed and Oracle manages the physical disk. Therefore, it seems by definition, that OS mirroring is unavailable.

>sudden power failure during a write

My guess is that the data would be corrupted on both disks. Mirroring would not provide data recovery capability since power has been lost to the entire system.

>sudden disk/controller failure during a write

I would think that if both disks work off the same controller, the same result with the power failure would happen. However, if two seperate controllers were used, then maybe the one good controller would be able to save the data.

Hope this helps,

Rick Cronau (rcronau_at_aol.com) Received on Tue Jul 19 1994 - 06:51:12 CEST

Original text of this message