Forms 4.0 and DDE , was Re: Forms 4.0 on client side demands [lots of memory]

From: Dennis Moore <dbmoore_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 15 Jul 1994 17:19:46 GMT

[stuff deleted]

>We have done some Forms 4.0 inhouse. It is not necessary
>to have 24Mb of memory on the client. Oracle USA
>recommmends 12Mb. We have run forms on 8 Mb quite
>successfully. You would not even want to consider
>running on 4Mb.
>
>I have been in contact one of the Forms 4.0 developers
>and he is working on the next major release of Forms
>- Forms 4.5. That is supposed to address a lot of
>the memory management issues, I am told. In addition,
>it is going to have DDE.

Actually, on Windows anyway, Forms 4.0 has always had DDE support. This month, Graphics 2.0 and Reports 2.0 will also get DDE (and ODBC!) support.

>By the way, Visual Basic to get optimal performance from
>Visual Basic, you are looking at 8Mb of memory on the client.
>I am also told that when Microsoft Chicago is released, it
>will also require 8Mb. Looks like we are looking at 8Mb
>as a standard on clients any which way we go.

Not if you plan to use Lotus Notes, Lotus 1-2-3, WordPerfect, or a lot of the new Desktop products which will 'require' 8 MB, but actually need 16 MB

to run well.  Chicago, if it ever gets released ;-) (I know, the pot calling
the kettle ...), will require a 486 and 16 MB RAM and fast local hard disk
to run well.

>-- Good Luck !
> _/_/_/ _/ _/ Email : awilson_at_intermec.com

[stuff deleted]

  • Dennis Moore, my own opinions, etcetcetc