Forms 4.0 on client side demands 24 Mb?

From: Adrian Wilson <awilson_at_intermec.com>
Date: 14 Jul 94 20:02:49 GMT

>Hi everybody!
>
> I have a big problerm. I am familiar and experienced in forms 3.xxx
>and in Oracle 7.xxx environment. Now i have a problem and user need where i
>should use windows interface to database ( queries and transactions ). The
>application
>is pretty
> complicated. Well i thought about forms 4.0. The platform of the server is
> RS6000 and on this point we have PC client with Windows and forms3.0.
>
>Now the problem is that forms 4.0 demands 24Mb of RAM on client side which
>is too expensive for such a number of cleints of this kind.
>My question is:
>
>1. What do i get or loose if i choose some other tool or interface
> for example Access or ODBC or Paradox or Visula Basic.
> Can i also use int this tools PL/SQL and stored procedures on server?
>2. Is there any chance Oracle is planning to reduce this demands in following
>releases of forms 4.0?
>

>That number about 24 Mb RAM on client side was given by local Oracle
>subsidiary. So if this not true then please remind me .
>

>Thank you for the answer..
>
>Ivan Drvaric
>Insurance Company Maribor
>3, Cankarjeva street
>62000 Maribor
>Republic of Slovenia

We have done some Forms 4.0 inhouse. It is not necessary to have 24Mb of memory on the client. Oracle USA recommmends 12Mb. We have run forms on 8 Mb quite successfully. You would not even want to consider running on 4Mb.

I have been in contact one of the Forms 4.0 developers and he is working on the next major release of Forms - Forms 4.5. That is supposed to address a lot of the memory management issues, I am told. In addition, it is going to have DDE.

By the way, Visual Basic to get optimal performance from Visual Basic, you are looking at 8Mb of memory on the client. I am also told that when Microsoft Chicago is released, it will also require 8Mb. Looks like we are looking at 8Mb as a standard on clients any which way we go.

       _/_/_/    _/              _/   Email : awilson_at_intermec.com
     _/    _/  _/              _/     Lead DBA
    _/_/_/_/  _/     _/_/     _/      Intermec Corporation
   _/    _/  _/     _/_/     _/       Everett, Washington
  _/    _/   _/   _/  _/   _/         (206) 348-2600 x 6409