Re: DBA Monitoring Tools

From: Alan Schafer <bschafer_at_ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu>
Date: 14 Jul 1994 14:12:39 GMT

In article <3019tk$l74_at_hafro.is> Gunnar Orvarsson, gunnaro_at_hafro.is writes:

>We are running Oracle 7.0.16.4 under Sun Solaris 2.3 on a SPARC
>based system. Our grapihcal user interface is based on X11R5 and
>Motif.
>
>What we are looking for is a usable GUI based product to help our
>database adminstrator with his daily tasks, to gather statistics,
>monitor and tune the performance of the database system.

We have currently examined and recommended the purchase of DBVision from Aston-Brooke Software. It has a nice GUI front end that runs under X-Windows. The software itself runs on UNIX boxes, one of which is Sun.

Their software is quite impressive, allowing a DBA to monitor in real-time multiple Oracle instances. It also has alert and notify functions which can
actually page or e-mail the DBA or someone else when significant problems arise. It is worth looking into.

Give them a call at 1-800-257-7664.

Their address is:

Plymouth Meeting Executive Campus
610 W. Germantown Pike, Suite 450
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462 Received on Thu Jul 14 1994 - 16:12:39 CEST

Original text of this message