DBA Monitoring Tools

From: Gunnar Orvarsson <gunnaro_at_hafro.is>
Date: 13 Jul 1994 17:57:08 GMT

Dear Oracle administrators,

We are running Oracle 7.0.16.4 under Sun Solaris 2.3 on a SPARC based system. Our grapihcal user interface is based on X11R5 and Motif.

What we are looking for is a usable GUI based product to help our database adminstrator with his daily tasks, to gather statistics, monitor and tune the performance of the database system.

I was wondering if any of you had had experience, good or bad, with such products. What are their names? Which ones would you recommend? Are there any public domain packages available?

I saw that someone mentioned EcoTools, but I haven't seen it. I've heard of XMon's Oracle Sensor as well.

I've seen something called SQLWatch, but that package runs only on PC's under MS-Windows, as far as I know, which makes it unusable in our situation. Is there anything similar or better than that available for our platform?

Best regards,

--
Gunnar Orvarsson                                 Internet:    gunnaro_at_hafro.is
Hafrannsoknastofnunin/Fiskistofa                 Telephone:   +354 1 697909