Auditing priv use?

From: p00775 <p00775_at_psilink.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 94 18:01:44 -0500

Greetings,

        I've been experimenting with auditing use of system privileges. The documentation says that I can audit the failed attempts to use a system privilege such as:

AUDIT CREATE TABLE WHENEVER NOT SUCCESSFUL         Fer sure this don't work! No audit records get written if the user fails to create a table for whatever reason, including insufficient privs.

If, however, I audit the TABLE statement option:

AUDIT TABLE WHENVER NOT SUCCESSFUL         then the right audit record gets written. Am I missing something or is the documentation just plain wrong about auditing failed use of system privs? Is this true for all system privs?

        On a similar subject, does anyone have an opinion about auditing on Oracle 7? I recall that it was pretty much a non-option on Oracle 6 since overhead was outrageous, is it better on V7?

				Thanx in advance!
					Dave Trahan
					BrainTree Technology, Inc.
					p00775_at_psilink.com