Re: [Q:] How to speed up rpt program ?

From: Jacqui Caren <jacqui_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 1994 13:53:58 +0000

In article <773101843snz_at_aboy.demon.co.uk> MarkB_at_aboy.demon.co.uk writes:
>In article <2umdbq$i9c_at_ccu2.auckland.ac.nz>
> amccullo_at_ccu1.auckland.ac.nz "Alan MCCulloch" writes:
>
>> eleeb0p_at_menudo.uh.edu (Jiazhi) writes:
>>

>> >I am working in a small information company.
>> >We have a perfoance problem.
>> >We use the rpt to prepare detail reports. It
>> >involvs retrieve data from 10-30 tables and
>> >arrange the format and print out. But it is
>> >unacceptly slow.
>

>Personally, I really like rpt - I know I'm in a minority here, but
>what the hell.
>
>It has been suggested that you might use PL/SQL - but as Oracle have
>(almost wilfully) neglected to build in any user I/O, you're likely
>to need explicit temporary tables. Can you guarantee that you will
>have the space? Will the program be portable to sites with different
>tablespace names? How long will it take you to de-bug the damn thing?
>Or for someone else to find a subsequent bug once it's in production?

If you try to output a fixed width string rpt will add a space after each ". " (fullstop and space) sequence. This caused no end of problems for me because I only have C and rpt to work with at the time (on a VMS box with no Pro*C). I HAD to have the string printed in the form it was entered (no extra spaces). I contacted oracle support and thier reply was "use reportwriter". Reportwriter could not provide the functionality which I required - not your bog-standard report. I used RPT to extract the data and then had to correct the output with a C program. I have now convinced the customer to migrate to a oraperl based solution.

I also had a problem where I got a leading blank line in the report output. I restructured the rpt source so that the functional depth was reduced and the problem went away. I could not track the problem to a specific line of code - I simply moved code about (inline) to remove the problem.

--
Jacqui Caren, Paul Ingram Group Ltd. J.Caren_at_ig.co.uk
My opinions are corect...  ( :-) for the emotionally deprived)