Re: Sharing SQL queries on a UNIX network?

From: Mark J. Bobak <mbobak_at_tr1106.to.ford.com>
Date: 27 Jun 1994 21:19:44 GMT

In article <1994Jun27.114204.1_at_geovax>, <msc9342_at_geovax.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>I've written some SQL queries which are saved in my own UNIX account.
>
>However, I would like them to be accessed from other users of the
>network from within ORACLE, without them having to type the full
>pathname of the files. Is there a simple way of achieving this -
>attempts at using aliases haven't worked.

Hmm....well, you don't mention what version of oracle or sqlplus (I assume you are trying this from sqlplus) or whether you're running unix, but, this is what I figured out:

I'm running ORACLE RDBMS V6.0.36.7.1,

and         SQL*Plus: Version 3.0.11.1.2
and         SunOS 4.1.3,

and sqlplus, "help start", among other things, told me:

        "When you enter START file_name.ext, SQL*Plus searches for a file
         with the specified name and extension in the current default
         directory.  If SQL*Plus doesn't find the file, it searches a
         system-dependent path for the FROM file.  Some operating systems
         don't support this path-search."

So, I fiddled around a little and guessed, and, it worked!

I did setenv ORACLE_PATH /my/home/dir/sql

then I did cd /my/home/dir

and "start file1.sql" worked!

It surprised the hell out of me that it worked, especially since I just guessed at the variable....but, it did.

Anyhow, hope this is helpful.

--
Mark J. Bobak
Truck Operations