Tablespace created, file destroyed - HELP!

From: michael v mascari <mascari_at_cis.ohio-state.edu>
Date: 21 Jun 1994 07:29:08 -0400

        I have created a SERIOUS blunder. I am praying that one of you could help me. I wanted to provide a user who did not have permissions to create tables the permissions to do so. I also wanted the user to have their own tablespace. So I created the tablespace, setting the DATAFILE paramter to file mascari.dbs, creating a small 10M tablespace. I then created a temporary tablespace and an index tablespace. I gave user johnson the resources after defining both the new data tablespace and the temporary tablespaces as defaults. I couldn't get rollback segments to work properly and therefore couldn't create any tables in the new tablespaces.

        Therefore (and this is where I screwed up, big time), I dropped the table I created in the user's tablespace (I was able to create the table, I just wasn't able to add any records), then ... I deleted the 10M datafile for the data tablespace, the 5M file for the tempspace, and the 3M file for the index tablespace. After a while, Oracle compained about the fact it couldn't access those tablespaces (because I never dropped the tablespace from the database), and then it quit.

        Now I can't start Oracle at all, even to drop the tablespace because the files (that I don't want) aren't there. I tried making up some junk files, but Oracle still wouldn't mount the database because the junk files failed verification. Is there any way (besides restoring from backup) or any file that I can edit, that I can convince Oracle that those tablespaces aren't there?

        Please, any help would be GREATLY appreciated :(

	Mike Mascari
	(mascari_at_cis.ohio-state.edu)