Re: Help! What is PL/SQL?

From: Michael Sallwasser <msallwas_at_world.nad.northrop.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 19:51:40 GMT

In article <CrGF6s.GCz_at_nvl.army.mil> bajones_at_nvl.army.mil writes:

<< some stuff deleted>>

>Now - here's the question - In looking thru the literature that Oracle
>sent, they keep referring to something called PL/SQL, which I don't

<< more stuff deleted>>

>easier. Do I need the PL/SQL for any reason to be able to do this?
>What does PL/SQL do that SQL*Plus doesn't do?

SQL*Plus allow one to submit and manage the output of SQL statements.

In version 6 and above, SQL*Plus allows one to submit and manage the output of SQL statements and to submit PL/SQL blocks. A PL/SQL block contains multiple statements in the PL/SQL lanaguage that allows one to manipulate in a procedural fashion, the data in Oracle tables. Quite useful and automatically included with SQL*Plus. Check out the manuals once how get them to see how it might benefit you.

Michael Sallwasser  | Down one path is utter dispair and hopelessness. Down
Northrop Grumman    | the other is total destruction. Let us choose wisely.