Help! What is PL/SQL?

From: Ebeth Jones <bajones_at_astro>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 19:52:03 GMT

The background -

About a week ago my supervisor came in and told me that we needed to have a database ready to use on an upcoming project. Our old database, Oracle Ver 5.1, is really not up to speed, so we decided to try to get a copy of version 6 (to run on a 486 PC, with an upgrade to ver 7 when available) with all the necessary extras that we can afford.

Now - here's the question - In looking thru the literature that Oracle sent, they keep referring to something called PL/SQL, which I don't think I've ever seen or used before. I am planning on ordering Oracle DBMS, SQL*Plus, Oracle Call Interface, and Oracle Graphics. In the past, I have written all our database input/output/graphics myself, using OCI and C to load and query the database, and then sent the results to a generic graphics package. I would like to do basically the same thing for this program since its what I'm familiar with, only using Oracle graphics, which I hope will make life a bit easier. Do I need the PL/SQL for any reason to be able to do this? What does PL/SQL do that SQL*Plus doesn't do?

Any advice/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I need to get this purchase request in pronto and all the Oracle reps that I have tried to call are out at some convention!

Thanks -

Ebeth

--
Elizabeth Jones         E-MAIL: bajones_at_nvl.army.mil

"A home without a cat, and a well-fed, well-petted, and properly revered cat,
may be a perfect home, *perhaps*, but how can it prove its title?"  Mark Twain