Re: Running Oracle under Linux

From: Lee E Parsons <lparsons_at_world.std.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 1994 04:26:37 GMT

(Andreas Bartelt) writes:
>bajones_at_astro (Ebeth Jones) writes:
>
>>Can I get a copy of Oracle that will run under Linux? Would
>>Oracle for Unix run under Linux? Is the cost any different
>>that it would be for MSDOS? If Oracle can run under Linux,
>>is it a beast to install and maintain?
>
>I'll suggest you try to run a SCO Version of Oracle under Linux.
>You should have the newest 'ibcs2' package installed for Linux.

Of course when you go this route make sure you realize that you are on your own. Oracle will never help with any problems you have if you let them know your running a unsupported OS.

I'm planning on trying this config out myself just to have a trash environment to test things that I dont want to try in the production DB. But I dont think I would ever load any data anybody cares about in it.

If your going to all the trouble to BUY Oracle I cant imagine that it would be worth your time to save a couple of bucks by skimping on the OS. (Of course there are a lot of things I cant imagine :)

You may want to think about a centralized SCO DB Server. Your users can still use Linux to client into the DB. But all that will be at risk is your prefered access method and not your actual data. If you wake up one morning and find that the latest Linux patch breaks Oracle compatability you can still rlogin to the server.

>At all an adventure. Maybe Oracle has an real Linux Version?
>It should be easy to generate a real port to Linux.

Oracle produce a port for a FREE OS?! When Pigs Fly. :-}

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons
Systems Oracle DBA	 			lparsons_at_world.std.com