Re: Newbie temporary tablespaces question...

From: Carl Gohringer <cgohring_at_lucifer>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 1994 07:14:30 GMT

dwittke_at_harp.aix.calpoly.edu (Dean Wittke) writes:
: Greetings,
:
: We are a noew Oracle shop, and the guy who did the initial install
: took off for the summer. When I try to select from some new views, I
: get an error saying that tablespace MISC_DATA does not exist. Looking
: at the tables below, it seems that MISC_DATA is marked INVALID. How
: do I validate it? And doesn't it's size seem awfully large?
:
: Any help is most appreciated...
:
: Dean

Quite often, in order to complete a query, the RDBMS needs to create temporary segments to store data(ie, for sorting, joining tables etc). The tablespace that these temporary segments will be created in will be the tablespace that is defined as the temporary tablespace for the user executing the query. See DBA_USERS, which you have included in your message.

If a tablespace has a status of INVALID, that means that that tablespace no longer exists. ie. somebody has executed the DROP TABLESPACE command for that tablespace. This appears to be the case for you MISC_DATA tablespace. However, you still have some users who have this tablespace defined as their temporary tablespace, which will obviously create problems whenever these users try to do anything that requires the creation of temporary segments.

You have two alternatives:
o create a new MISC_DATA tablespace. See the CREATE TABLESPACE command in the   DBA guide.
o Alter the users who still have the MISC_DATA tablespace has their temporary   tablespace such that their temporary tablespace is one that still exists,   has space in it, and that they have quota on.   See the ALTER USER command in the DBA guide.

Carl

Carl Gohringer, Senior CASE Support Consultant Oracle UK, The Oracle Centre, The Ring, Bracknell, Berkshire, England, RG121BW Internet : cgohring_at_uk.oracle.com