Datawarehouse on DB2 vs Oracle

From: Anwar Kassam 237-3892 <kassama_at_cuug.ab.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 22:33:52 GMT

I am working on a project to build a datawarehouse. The question I have is should we use mainframe DB2 as a corporate datastore or use a database server on a UNIX machine to build the datawarehouse. We have ORACLE's gateway to talk to DB2 on the mainframe.

I am lookinf for the following information:

Is UNIX based DBMS server more cost effective compared to mainframe DB2? Can UNIX evnvironment handle 30 Gigabytes of information? Can it support 100 concurrent users?
How long would it take to load 30 gigabytes of information? Has anyone used POWERBUILDER or ACCESS to talk to DB2 via ORACLE's DB2 gateway?

Will appreciate any information or experience you have building a datawarehouse. Thanks in advance.

Please reply kassama_at_cuug.ab.ca Received on Wed Jun 15 1994 - 00:33:52 CEST

Original text of this message