Oracle 7.0.16 or 7.0.15 for Solaris 2.3 101318-34???

From: Lionel Lee Yuin <lionell_at_solomon.technet.sg>
Date: 15 Jun 1994 03:13:48 GMT

The excerpt enclosed below for Solaris 2.3 patch doc seemed to imply that only Oracle 7.0.16 with additional patches can run on Solaris 2.3 with kernel patch rev above 101318-34. Can anyone confirm on the following:-

[1] Whether it is absolutely necessary for us to upgrade our existing

	Oracle 7.0.15 to 7.0.16 with those additional fixes in order to run
	Solaris 2.3 with 101318-45 patches.

[2] If otherwise, will all components of Oracle 7.0.15 operate flawlessly
under Solaris 2.3 with 101318-45 applied.

Please kindly mail your replies to lionell_at_solomon.technet.sg

Thanks...

Patch-ID# 101318-45
Solaris Release: 2.3
Topic: SunOS 5.3: Jumbo patch for kernel (includes libc, lockd)
  • Special Note for systems running Oracle, Informix, or Sybase *****

As of rev -34, there are kernel bugs fixed in this patch, but Sun also found some bugs in DB vendors' code which makes DBs fail to startup with the fixed kernel. As a result, Sun is coordinating with DB vendors regarding their corresponding fixes. The complete solution is to have both the 101318 patch, rev 34 or higher, installed on Solaris 2.3 AND the corresponding fixes from the DBMS vendors installed as well. Here is when  the DB vendor fixes are expected to be available:

        Oracle: Oracle has a V7.0.16 patch now available free of charge
                to customers.

[... deleted ...]

(from 101318-34)
1153324 System gets a srmmu_pteunload panic when starting Oracle DB.

Customers seeing data base programs (Informix, Oracle, Sybase) with ISM turned on causes system to crash.
There are kernel bugs fixed in this patch, but we also found some bugs in DB vendors' code which makes DBs fail to startup with the fixed kernel. As a result, we are coordinating with DB vendors to fix their releases too. Here is when patch/new release from DB will be available:

        Oracle: a fix will be available as a patch to the newly released
                7.0.16 in early 3/94.

[... deleted ...]

Lionel Lee
Singapore Polytechnic

EMAIL: lionell_at_solomon.technet.sg Received on Wed Jun 15 1994 - 05:13:48 CEST

Original text of this message