Why are version 6 views so sluggish? How to impr

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.fidonet.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 94 15:02:40 -0500

There are good ways to do this, and bad ones -- a bad one would be to create a view. A good one would be to create a database trigger or procedure.

> -> DO NOT USE A VIEW. It is not at all appropriate, given the
> -> circumstances.

> Not necesarily true. I recall that the orgianl V6 was horrible when
> attempting this type of logic on views, but later versions pushed the
> "where" criteria into the underlying view selects, when gave some
> incredible performance gains.

Given the circumstances, it IS necessarily true. If you care to provide different circumstances, then a view may be appropriate. There are cases in later versions of the database where the where clause of the view is pushed into the query... However, this is NOT true under many circumstances, particularly the ones described, e.g., when joins are made to the view.

To reiterate, a view is not as fast as a base table, and a view is not an appropriate vehicle for simplifying "batch" jobs. Received on Tue Jun 14 1994 - 22:02:40 CEST

Original text of this message