Re: Connecting to Oracle V6 with Excel 5.0

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 1994 01:12:25 GMT

In a previous article, toddh_at_morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Todd Hickey) says:

>We are currently running Oracle V6 and were wondering what we need to
>access the database from Microsoft Excel 5.0?

  It depends on where your database is running. Is it on a server or are you running it on DOS? If you are running it under DOS then I believe you are SOL. If you are running it on a server and have a network connection between the server and your PC (say TCP/IP or SPX) then...

  1. From Oracle you need to purchace SQL*Net 1.1. This is needed both on the server and on the PC (Be sure to specify SQL*Net for Windows, not DOS).
  2. For the PC you need an old ODBC driver which supports oracle V6. The two I know of come from PageAhead (This one was shipped with MS ACCESS 1.1), and Q+E. When you move to Oracle7 there is an Oracle7 ODBC driver (built by Oracle) available for free.
    • Doug Harris Database Administrator, System Development Division, Statistics Canada ## Standard Disclaimer Applies ## --