Re: Keeping Lookup Tables in Memory

From: Hr.Kuhn <helmut_at_d255s271.mch.sni.de>
Date: 10 Jun 1994 10:10:33 GMT

John Dennis (jdennis_at_netcom.com) wrote:
: Re: Oracle paging algorithm and performance

: I have ~20 lookup tables under 100K in size. I would like to keep these
: in memory at all times. However, because there are several *large* tables
: being accessed, it would *seem* that these lookup tables would be paged
: out often and then (because it is a lookup table) be pulled in from disk
: so after. So does Oracle have a method around this, or is it a moot point
: because of some factor I forgotten? - or - What the bases of Oracles
: paging algorithm?

put your 20 tables in an own tablespace and mirror the file datafile which contains/stores this tablespace via mirrored disk in a ram-disk. this method makes share that reading from this tablespace is always done from ram-disk, whereas writes are going through to disk.

regards,
helmut kuhn

helmut.kuhn_at_mch.sni.de Received on Fri Jun 10 1994 - 12:10:33 CEST

Original text of this message