Re: Can I access an ASCII file via Forms 4.0 under Windows?

From: Steven P. Muench <smuench_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 06:54:55 GMT

GLEN -- Not exactly. All of the data access methods for our default,

        automatic datasource interaction can be overridden with
        PL/SQL triggers. An example form that ships will all releases
        of Forms 4.0 is called 'TTRIG.FMB' and shows off a normal
        database block using an array in memory as the datasource,
        rather than a query against Oracle. To have a normal database
        block query its data from a flat file, a similar technique
        would be used, only it would be userexit code which actually
        does the external flat-file opens and reads.

        Forms 4.0.13 on Windows will ship with a series of
        demonstration user exits, together with instructions on how to
        rebuild them, and how to use their functionality through a
        friendly PL/SQL interface (also provided). Full text-file
        open, read, append, close capabilies will be in there.

        For Forms 4.5, the TOOLS_IO package will be supported as it is
        presently in Oracle Graphics 2.0, which will add portable,
        PL/SQL-driver flat-file access.

        Hope this helps.

--

Steve Muench         Email: smuench_at_oracle.com
Forms Development      CIS: 73404,676