Re: Can I access an ASCII file via Forms 4.0 under Windows?

From: Glenn Nicholas <Glenn_at_wplace.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 13:10:23 +0000

In article <xO7vH4Y.ri_clark_at_delphi.com>

           ri_clark_at_delphi.com "Robert I. Clark" writes:
:Hi - I'm stumped and would appreciate your help. We're developing an
:application running on a PC/Windows client with Oracle 7.0 on an HP9000
:server. We need to retrieve some information from an ASCII file, enhance
:it and use its data to update Oracle tables. We originally intended to
:use SQL*Loader to parse the file and build a temporary table which we
:planned to access via PLSQL out of Forms.
: I just discovered, the hard way, that SQL*Loader won't run under
:Windows unless I run
:Windows/Forms in Standard Mode. This won't work in our application.
: Does anyone know of a way to read the contents of an ASCII file into
:a Forms 4.0 application? There are at least three ways I could do it with
:Powerbuilder but I can't find a single one for Forms.
: It certainly seems that you'd want a client-based tool like Forms to
:be able to access files so I assume there's a way.

Forms4 can read the ascii file itself, according to the documentation. There are a series of new built in procedures designed for this purpose (eg. on-insert etc), and blocks have special properties to handle the different data source. Haven't tried it myself though.

--
Glenn Nicholas.