Re: Problems Running Windows & ORACLE??

From: Gunnar Sylthe <Gunnar.Sylthe_at_nsd.uib.no>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 08:39:05 +1000

In article <1473.562.uupcb_at_owlsnest.nl> amis_at_owlsnest.nl (Amis) writes:
>From: amis_at_owlsnest.nl (Amis)
>Subject: Problems Running Windows & ORACLE??
>Date: 2 Jun 94 10:17:00 GMT

>To: dagmara_at_news.delphi.com (DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM)
>From: AMIS
>Sender: Chris Peper
>Date: 06/02/94 10:02 CET

>DAGMARA>My client wants to know if there are any known problems running
>DAGMARA>Windows for workgroups & sqlnet with TCP/IP as a protocol. They know
>DAGMARA>they want ORACLE 7 on a UNIX platform, and a PC front-end with TCP/IP
>DAGMARA>as their protocol, but they are trying to figure out what goes
>DAGMARA>in-between. Any suggestions/warnings/recommendations will be
>DAGMARA>appreciated.

>As far as we know SQLNet will NOT run as is under WFWG 3.11. We had the same
>problem! the only thing is to get a certain patch that will make it work, but
>it is not supported (yet) by Oracle. Our Oracle contact said, however, that
>there would be a new SQLNet very soon now... :-) One more thing: we are NOT
>running TCP/IP. We are running Netware IPX/SPX. That might make things
>different...

>Chris.

We are running the following setup:

  • In-house developed Windows front-end (C/C++/Q+E Database Library)
  • Windows for Workgroups 3.11
  • SQL*Net for Windows 1.1.7.7B
  • Trumpet Winsock OR Microsoft TCP/IP-32 (Daytona beta)
  • Oracle 7.0.15 on the server (Sun SPARC)

This combination seems to run just fine.

Regards,

   Gunnar Sylthe

Gunnar Sylthe                                Phone:     +47-55-212125 (voice)
Norwegian Social Science Data Services                  +47-55-960660   (fax)
Hans Holmboesgt. 22                          Email:  Gunnar.Sylthe_at_nsd.uib.no
N-5007 Bergen
NORWAY