Re: What affects performance?

From: Kurt Schmidt <slores_at_goshen.connected.com>
Date: 2 Jun 1994 00:53:28 -0700

In article <Cqq0no.9x9_at_boi.hp.com>, Jack Parker <jparker_at_boi.hp.com> wrote:

>But more seriously, Paul and the other posters made some very valid points.
>What the original requestor was asking for was a white paper on performance,
>or rather the basis to write one.
>For example: What's
>faster a Maserati or a schoolbus? But are you trying to win the Indy 500
>or move people from point a to point b? Sure the Maserati can get there 3
>times faster but it can only carry two people.
>
>I am now supposed to read a white paper which states this? Sure it's possible
>to document in general what makes a system fast. But how high is the sky?
[stuff deleted]

I think it would be quite worthwhile to describe, or to try to describe, various parameters that influence the performance of a system. Or in the words of the example above, mentioning to the reader that the number of people being transported must be taken into consideration, as well as the speed priority. Other items could include information on how to analyze the data being stored, in order to make a reasonable decision (ex.: if BLOBs are involved, what would be of importance? If BLOBs are NOT involved, would the same parameters need to be considered?). Sky's pretty high, but we did touch it, and went even farther :-). Received on Thu Jun 02 1994 - 09:53:28 CEST

Original text of this message