Re: What affects performance?

From: Kurt Schmidt <slores_at_goshen.connected.com>
Date: 4 Jun 1994 10:44:47 -0700

In article <CqsC5J.H96_at_rosebud.strinc.com>, Allen M. White <amw_at_rosebud.strinc.com> wrote:
>>[a lot of stuff deleted]
>>I think it would be quite worthwhile to describe, or to try to describe,
>>various parameters that influence the performance of a system.
>
>Why would it seem reasonable for us to discuss the specific effects on
>performance here when Sybase offers a 5-day class on the subject? Things
>that directly affect performance are:
>[stuff deleted]
>and most importantly
>
>10) How the SQL code is written (with respect to the optimizer)
>
>ALL of these things have to be taken into consideration when considering
>performance. And I'm sure I left out a whole bunch of other considerations
>as well, so basically you should take a WAG and go with it.

  1. Not everyone can get to the Sybase course.
  2. Sybase is not God -- people on here may, just may, have other, valuable experiences or ideas
  3. Sybase course may be biased to Sybase products.
  4. Taking a WAG makes database tuning a probabilistic process -- I hope that we can bring forth some rules, guidelines or other resources for making it a more deterministic process.
  5. Because by discourse we can utilize synergy the Internet global mind to arrive at conclusions or insights one vendor may be incapable of.
  6. By discussing the considerations we can encourage others to think of what they are doing instead of taking a WAG.

Should I continue?

Kurt Received on Sat Jun 04 1994 - 19:44:47 CEST

Original text of this message