Re: Help recursive problem ??

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 00:45:29 GMT

In a previous article, mikeg_at_sun.gsfc.nasa.gov (Michael E. Grabenstein) says:

> I have a friend that is writing C code for Oracle and he is trying
>to use a recursive cursor function. He says when the function unravells it
>losses his settings. (I have not seen the code, plus this is all from
>memory, so I might not be relating this very well.)
>
> Of course the big question is can Oracle handle a recursive sursor
>function in C ?

   Yes, but you will want to use OCI instead of PRO*C. Having said this, it is quite possible you do not need to. Most recursive query requirements can be handled with a single cursor which makes creative use of Oracle's CONNECT BY clause within the select statement.

   Press hype in Oracle Magazine for PRO*C 2.0 claims that it will have more sensible cursor scoping.

  • Doug Harris Database Administrator, System Development Division, Statistics Canada ## Standard Disclaimer Applies ## --