Re: SQLNET V2 Setup

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 00:34:48 GMT

In a previous article, barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com (Barry Roomberg) says:

>I've recently gone from V6 to V7, and am attempting
>to use the MTS. I've been ping ponging through the docs
>without much success.
>
>I realize I now have to use SQLNET2, which I've installed (always
>used the pipe driver under V6 before). I don't care about accessing
>remote
>machines, just the local one. I have TCP/IP installed and it works
>ok.

   If you are connecting locally i would suggest using the IPC (Unix Domain Socket) Protocol Adapter. It should save you some overhead.

 I've created /etc/listener.ora
>which has PROCOCOL=TCP, HOST=ds3 (my box's name), PORT=1521.
>I've started up "lsnrctl start", and it reads the listener.ora
>and seems to be happy.
>
>I'm attempting to do the /etc/tsnames as per the example in the manual,
>but when starting sqlplus scott/tiger, I get ORA-12154 which
>means TNS couldn't resolve database name.

   Make sure you have tnsnames.ora in the right place. Try setting the TNS_ADMIN environment variable to the name of the directory where it is stored.
> Does anyone have a step
>by step list of things (with examples) that I should be doing.

   These config files can be a hassle to set up. I suggest using the SQL*Net V2 config utility to build a set of "starter" config files you can then work with.

    Also look for a file named sqlnet.log in your current directory after you get a TNS error. It may contain helpful information on what went wrong.

  • Doug Harris Database Administrator, System Development Division, Statistics Canada ## Standard Disclaimer Applies ## --