Re: 'Simple' Function or Procedure w/SELECT

From: Steve Reiss <sreiss_at_wpo.borland.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 1994 23:44:25 GMT

Magnus,

>You can not do this. You can only use bind-variables (or PL/SQL variables)
>in place of column-names, expressions or constants in the select-list,
>where clause, order by, group by, etc, etc. You can not have a variable
>table name.

Thanks for the info! OK, I can't have a variable tablename. How about a procedure that returns multiple rows, maybe based on a variable passed in to search on a field?

Something like :

function SelectSomeRows(IDVal number)

select * from customer
  where Cust_ID = IDVAL

I'm looking for any simple way of returning multiple rows back to the client. Can a function be executed with a SQL statement? Like this :

  EXECUTE SelectSomeRows(123)

 + . ------------  __________   --%%-------         sreiss_at_wpo.borland.com