Re: What are the major improvements of v.7 over v.6?

From: Magnus Lonnroth <mloennro_at_se.oracle.com>
Date: 25 May 94 21:20:58 GMT

In article <2rvu1g$gd5_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca> forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca (Hans Forbrich) writes:

> Fong Siu-Kit (M.Phil Yr2) (skfong_at_cuse1.se.cuhk.hk) wrote:
> > Hello all,

> > Would somebody enlighten me what are the major improvements of Oracle
> > version 7 over version 6, especially in the programming issues?

> > I guess this may be an FAQ but I just don't know where to get it.

> > Thanks in advance.

> > --
> > Siu-Kit Fong Email address: skfong_at_se.cuhk.hk
> > Department of Systems Engineering
> > Chinese University of Hong Kong
>
> Principally:
>
> Enforced constraints
> - allows the DB to validate data
>
> Triggers
> - allows the DB to take action when a data change
> (update, insert, or delete) takes place
>
> Both of these aspects dramatically decrease the amount of
> programmer development since the rules are now stored in
> one place.
>
> Both of these dramatically increase the role of the DBA
> since the amount of information in the dictionary is
> increased.
>
> Both of these improve DB performance since the DB can now
> schedule validation & trigger tasks internally.
>
> There are other improvements not directly programmer
> related - contact Oracle for more hype.
>
> /Hans

Here's some more "hype":

  • multi-byte charactersets & enhanced NLS
  • enhanced datatypes (BLOBS etc)
  • enhanced pl/sql (v2)
  • stored procedures (executes with creators privileges)
  • stored functions
  • enhanced security (role-based)
  • user profiles (resource limits)
  • choice of rule- or heuristic cost-based optimizer (with optional hints)
  • packages with public/private attributes & methods (supporting overloaded functions & procedures)
  • several system packages: dbms_alert, dbms_pipe, dbms_lock, dbms_mail, ...
  • transparent distributed transactions
  • global optimizer for distributed joins
  • server-based gateway technology with SDK's
  • shared SQL (reduces memory usage per user and reduces parse costs)
  • multi-threaded server (reduces process count - supports more users)
  • multiplexed redo logfiles
  • dynamic data-dictionary row-cache (all dc_ parameters are gone)
  • can use filesystem for temporary objects (sorting)
  • global naming (Internet-style)
  • enhanced OS authentication (both user and roles)
  • Oracle Net v2 + transparent characterset conversion + client and server may speak different protocols by using + multi-protocol interchanges + uniform config/navigation for all protocols

available in 7.1:

- GUI based DBA tool (replaces sqldba)
- parallell option for queries & index creation
- user-defined functions in SQL
- asynchronous UPI calls
- read-only tablespaces
- dynamic SQL in stored procedures