Re: What are the major improvements of v.7 over v.6?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 25 May 1994 10:23:12 -0600

Fong Siu-Kit (M.Phil Yr2) (skfong_at_cuse1.se.cuhk.hk) wrote:
> Hello all,

> Would somebody enlighten me what are the major improvements of Oracle
> version 7 over version 6, especially in the programming issues?

> I guess this may be an FAQ but I just don't know where to get it.

> Thanks in advance.

> --
> Siu-Kit Fong Email address: skfong_at_se.cuhk.hk
> Department of Systems Engineering
> Chinese University of Hong Kong

Principally:

Enforced constraints

  • allows the DB to validate data

Triggers

  • allows the DB to take action when a data change (update, insert, or delete) takes place

Both of these aspects dramatically decrease the amount of programmer development since the rules are now stored in one place.

Both of these dramatically increase the role of the DBA since the amount of information in the dictionary is increased.

Both of these improve DB performance since the DB can now schedule validation & trigger tasks internally.

There are other improvements not directly programmer related - contact Oracle for more hype.

/Hans Received on Wed May 25 1994 - 18:23:12 CEST

Original text of this message