ORA-04031: out of shared memory when...

From: Bradley W Howerter <howerter_at_world.std.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 20:06:18 GMT

ORACLE7, UNIX (Sequent PTX 2.1)

Our shared pool size is 65000000, because we keep raising it in hopes that we can avoid ORA-4031. But it seems no matter how big we make it, ORA-4031 eventually gets us. We can't push it any higher (even though we have the hardware), because Oracle seems to slow down if we do.

We have CURSOR_SPACE_FOR_TIME set to FALSE, so as far as I'm concerned this must be an Oracle bug, but Oracle support doesn't see it that way. They say we must have too much fragmentation in the shared pool, and that when something large needs to be loaded we are hitting the error. I don't see this as likely since we get the error when trying to log into sqlplus (or trying to connect from any other tool).

Has anyone else had ORA-4031? Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Please mail to howerter_at_world.std.com and I'll post a summary of your responses. Received on Tue May 24 1994 - 22:06:18 CEST

Original text of this message