Re: Statistics based optimizer usable?

From: John Susag <John.Susag_at_MinneapolisMN.NCR.COM>
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 14:10:49 GMT

>In article <31466_at_uswnvg.uswnvg.com> Clay Jackson writes:
>Interesting - yes, we've seen the same sort of problems with 7.0.15.4
>on a Sequent box. We didn't really spend any time on it, because it
>was an error on our part to not have 'OPTIMIZER=RULE' in our
>init.ora (we've decided to ONLY try the cost-based optimizer on a limited
>basis.
>
>: - has on of you a solution or suggestion?
>Use the rule based optimizer, at least it's predictable.
>
>: - has one of you used the statistic based optimizer with good results?
>Not yet - I'll post something if we do.
>
>: - are there known bugs/limitations in using the statistic based optimizer?
>I hope not...
>
>--
>Clay Jackson - N7QNM
>US WEST NewVector Group Inc
>Bellevue, WA
>uunet!uswnvg!cjackso>

Hey Clay, didn't your group present at the Data Warehouse Conference in Orlando last February? Don't you have a 7+ GB DW on Oracle?

If you can't use the cost-based optimizer, how do you handle adhoc user queries?  Maybe you avoid the problem by not allowing adhoc queries?

Just curious about experiences with large Oracle DSS systems.

John.Susag_at_MinneapolisMN.NCR.COM
AT&T Global Information Solutions
Opinions expressed are mine alone - Don't blame anyone else Received on Wed May 11 1994 - 16:10:49 CEST

Original text of this message