Forms4 Portability Questions

From: Glenn Nicholas <Glenn_at_wplace.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 8 May 1994 12:03:59 +0000

I am interested in anyone's experience with the portability of CDE applications over multiple platforms. Specifically, has anybody encountered problems when designing on one platform and running on another? We are currently redesigning a large application using MS Windows, but need it to be portable across all of the CDE platforms.

The Oracle toolkit seems to interact with different GUI managers in different ways. Issues such as placement of the message line and the management of fonts within Forms 4 are examples.

Does anyone have any experience with Forms 4 modules which operate in both graphical and character mode? Is it practical? I am sure that forms which have been converted direct from Forms 4 will run under both, but I am more interested in proper GUI applications which also run in character mode.

This area seems to be quite uncharted, and the Oracle documentation tends to rely on references to 'the window manager'. Oracle does not seem to have this type of information readily available (or if they do, they aren't making it available to their VARs).

All input is welcome. If you send email, I will summarise and post.

--
Glenn Nicholas, Concept