Re: oracle trace files, file attributes

From: Erik E. Graversen <crieeg_at_chinook.halcyon.com>
Date: 5 May 1994 07:17:14 GMT

In article <626026.58.2DC859C1_at_ucdasvm1.admin.ucalgary.ca>, David Rowsome <626026_at_ucdasvm1.admin.ucalgary.ca> wrote:
>We have several users who want to initiate an Oracle trace when they are
>running a query. The trace is performed and stored in an Oracle directory;
>but, the file attributes are such that only the owner and group can read the
>file and no one else. Does anyone know what controls the attribute
>characters of the trace files?
>
>Oracle version is 7.0.13
>Unix is AIX version 3.2.5

Sounds like our config and last week I was wondering about the same thing.
Was not a big problem for me being in dba group but other developers also wanted to turn trace on on a session basis AND be able to read the generated tracefiles, so here is the trick: - Assume that all your users are members of the same group, - Make that group own the user_dump_dest dir (oracle should also be   member)
- set the sgid bit for the dir (i.e make files inherit group from the   dirs group). Check AIX docs for info but chmod g+s might do it. Good luck.
Ofcause if anyone knows if Oracle supports a separate umask for trace files that would be ideal, anyone...?

Erik Graversen,
Kirkland WA crieeg_at_halcyon.com Received on Thu May 05 1994 - 09:17:14 CEST

Original text of this message