Re: orasvr hangs on HP-UX 9.04

From: Timo Salzsieder <timo_at_PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_GATEWAY_FILE>
Date: 3 May 1994 17:13:54 GMT

> Eric Falkjar <falkjare_at_nbnet.nb.ca> writes:
>
> We have also had the problem with v1.x of orasrv on a v6.x oracle pc plat-
> form running sco unix, and on a v7.x oracle running on a sequent.
> sometimes on the sequent the orasrv sessions cannot be killed, and
> oracle has to be restarted. How does the timeout work? Does it mean
> that timeout=3 -- kill if a given user has not used it in 3 minutes?

Hi Eric,

in description for the timeout command stands ($ORACLE_HOME/tcp/doc/README.doc):

"When orasrv accepts a connection from a client process, it exchanges information with the client process (such as the SID desired), and then creates a shadow process for the client. If the client crashes during the handshake, it is possible that orasrv will be blocked waiting to get information back from the client, and will therefore be unable to accept any more connections.

If you experience this problem, you can use the "timeout" option to set a timeout (in seconds) for the connection handshake. (If you specify 0, the default, there will be no timeout and orasrv will wait as long as necessary for the handshake to complete.)"

Hope this helps, Timo.

|Timo Salzsieder    internet: timo_at_fh-konstanz.de            |
|Niederburggasse 8     voice:  +49 (0)7531 / 2 93 63         |
|78462 Konstanz, Germany                          (o o)      |