Re: What is "Unexpected Oracle Server Termination by Signal 6"?

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_rwessman.us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 1994 19:46:12 GMT

In article <1994Apr7.200707.16624_at_msuvx1.memst.edu> wliu_at_msuvx1.memphis.edu writes:

>Hi, experts,

 I'm not, but I'll give it a shot.

>I need some your help to solve my problem.
>Problem:
>
> I wrote a 900+ lines PL/SQL script with 150 variable declared.
> Everything is OK until I add a cursor at the end of the script,
> which is a single table select statement just return one record
> but has 45 columns in it.
>
> The Fetch of cursor was fine. But when I used the variables which
> are fetched into, the PL/SQl script crashed with no ORACLE Error. Only
> give a Error Message: "Unexpected oracle server termination by signal 6".
This means that ORACLE has dumped core. When Oracle gets a signal that causes a coredump, it catches it, dumps a trace of the stack at the time of the fault, and then sends itself a signal 6, which causes the dump.

The message is generated when the client finds out via the operating system that the server has crashed.

> When I use any three or four of the 45 varriables, the script
> runs fine. But when I use any six or seven of them, the script
> crashed. So, I am confident this is not a coding problem.
>
>System:
>
> Oracle V6.0.33 on Sun OS 4.0; 16 M main memory + 32 M Swap.
> Oracle SGA about 700K, Context Size as default(4K I believe).
> When testing, I the only user on the system.
>
>Any suggestion? Thanks a lot.
>
>Bill.
This is an ORACLE bug and should be reported to Oracle support. There may be a fix out for it.

                                    Rick
                                    Rick Wessman
				    Server Techologies - Network Products
				    Oracle Corporation