Re: V6.0.33 bug on indexed retrievals??

From: David Crowson <zdxc0d_at_amoco.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 1994 04:29:21 CDT

In article 765734249snz_at_rustle.demon.co.uk, Carlos_at_rustle.demon.co.uk (Carlos Karels) writes:
-->Has anyone out there come across this "feature" under ORACLE V6.0.33 ??
-->
--> Symptom: Indexed queries of a large table suddenly take 10 times as
--> long as usual.
-->
--> Investigations: VALIDATE INDEX performed - Index validated, no performance
--> improvement.
-->
--> Index dropped/recreated - no performance improvement.
-->
--> Index dropped, data exported, table dropped/recreated, data
--> imported, index recreated - Performance returns to expected
[chomp]

Sounds to me from that last paragraph like your table had become fragmented, exporting and reimporting would have defragged the table. What type of data do you have in the table ...Static or dynamic ?

---
David Crowson   =%^)   |"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
Oracle DBA(Ver.4,5,6,7)| I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to
Amoco Exploration      | move, to get down off this featherbed of civilisation
Ealing, London, UK.    | and to find the globe granite underneath and strewn
"My views not Amoex's" | with cutting flints" : Robert Louis Stevenson