Problem with different $TERM for Forms30 and SQLReport

From: Bruce Haanstra <bruceh_at_pacific.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 1994 08:09:04 GMT

We have an Oracle-based Application that is used on a number of different flavors of Unix (Sun, HP, SCO Unix), each using a different Oracle version. Each site uses a multitude of terminal types to access the application.

Our application invokes runrep via host commands from forms.

Our problem first occurred when runrep on the HP was upgraded to 1.1.14. The reports would hang when a command like the following was executed (this command worked before the upgrade).

  runrep custlst batch=NO userid=me/mypwd paramform=NO \   desname=custlst439.lst destype='File' desformat=wide

Adding 'term=$TERM' to the command stopped the report from hanging.

Unfortunately, FORMS30/MENU5 and SQLReport use different resource files for terminals and sometimes require different $TERM settings. For example, both runmenu50 and runrep work with $TERM set to 'ansi' or 'vt100'. However, for vt220 terminals, runmenu50 requires $TERM set to 'vt220' whereas runrep needs it set to 'srw_220'. Note that even though there is a file in $ORACLE_HOME/sqlreport/admin/terminal for vt220, when we call runrep with $TERM set to vt220, runrep will hang.

To handle this problem, we have a shell script that starts the application as follows:

    case $TERM in
'ansi' ) runmenu50 APPL -c $TERM:$TERM -m f;;
'hpterm') TERM='srw_hp'

                 export TERM
                 runmenu50 APPL -c hp:hpterm -m f  ;;
     'sun-cmd')  TERM='srw_sun5'
                 export TERM
                 runmenu50 APPL -c sun5:sun5 -m f  ;;

'vt220' ) TERM='srw_220'
export TERM runmenu50 APPL -c cust220:vt220 -m f ;;
'xterm' ) TERM='srw_220'
export TERM runmenu50 APPL -c cust220:vt220 -m f ;; * ) runmenu50 APPL -c $TERM -m f ;;

Are we going to have to keep modifying our start-up script as we move to different platforms and as new terminals are used to access the application, or is there a better approach? If you have to deal with multiple platforms, how do you handle this problem?

Thanking you in advance for any help you may be able to provide. bruceh_at_pacific.net Received on Mon Apr 04 1994 - 10:09:04 CEST

Original text of this message