Re: Can Oracle Access Informix Database?

From: Troy Tinnes <Q10641_at_paccvm.corp.mot.com>
Date: 2 Apr 1994 12:30:20 HKT

I've inquired as well concerning this issue however from the posts I've read, everything seems to indicate that there is no easy way to communicate between the 2 products (not even a SQLPLUS COPY which implies use of Oracle's SQL*NET which Informix doesn't talk to). Its too bad that the Informix and Oracle NET products couldn't be an industry standard protocol which all database systems could use ... however if this was implemented, it would no doubt work out in Informix's favour since Informix products are thousands of dollars cheaper.

At any rate, I do have something implemented (a hack at best) that dumps informix data into Oracle daily. It works like this:

  1. Every night a CRON job starts up on the Oracle system and does a 'rsh' to run a C executable on the informix host.
  2. The C program produces an output of the data I want into a flat file ... the CRON job next runs 'rcp' to copy the flat file onto the Oracle host.
  3. Next, SQL*LOADER is started on the Oracle host and the flat file is dumped into a temporary table on the database.
  4. A checker program is executed to make sure the LOADER executed okay and that the data from the other database is valid (best not to trust any other programmer's validations especially if this data is eventually being dumped into your 'live' system :)
  5. The data is transferred out of the temporary table (provided its ok and transfered into the final destination table.

Steps one and two can be substantially simplified if you have the luxury to automount your Informix and Oracle systems together.

Has anyone been able to write any 'C' tools to implement this directly? For instance, Oracle offers PRO*C and Informix has its own C. Has anyone been able to write a tool which can grab data out of Informix and put it into Oracle using the two C products essentially compiled together?

I welcome any shortcuts or criticisms concerning my 'hack' above and would like to hear from people who have written similar tools!

Thanks,

J. Troy Tinnes                              Tel: 011-816-586-3937
Database Administrator                      Fax: 011-816-586-3962
Nippon Motorola Ltd.
Osaka, JapanE-MAIL: tinnes_at_cig.nml.mot.com

------------------------- Original Article -------------------------

We have Oracle7 running on one RS6000/AIX machine and Informix on another RS6000 machine. The two computers are networked via TCPIP. Is there a way to make Oracle be able to communicate with the Informix database, like possibly use the SQLPLUS COPY command to copy a table from a non-Oracle remote database? If this is even possible, what tools would need to be running on each machine to accomplish this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dagmar Murray, Senior System Engineer
Space Management & Academic Scheduling

We have Oracle7 running on one RS6000/AIX machine and Informix on another RS6000 machine. The two computers are networked via TCPIP. Is there a way to make Oracle be able to communicate with the Informix database, like possibly use the SQLPLUS COPY command to copy a table from a non-Oracle remote database? If this is even possible, what tools would need to be running on each machine to accomplish this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dagmar Murray, Senior System Engineer
Space Management & Academic Scheduling
Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1128 email: dmurray_at_oasis.cc.purdue.edu Received on Thu Jan 01 1970 - 00:59:59 CET

Original text of this message