Re: Oracle Class library

From: Tom Cloney <muse_at_viadoc.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 13:38:23 GMT

In article <2mvrfg$41u_at_Tandem.CAM.ORG>, martin_at_CAM.ORG (Martin Carmichael) wrote:

> Does anybody somewhere have an interesting experience with C++ an Oracle?
>
> Is there any encapsulated Oracle Calls Interface "C" calls in a class
> library somewhere?
>
> Or is those Oracle CASE tools the better way to develop apps and maintain
> users happy?

Prograph CPX (currently available on the Macintosh and in the process of being ported to WIndows and UNIX) has an ORACLE interface available. It uses ORACLE's OCI interface. We've been using it for a while, and it seems promising. Prograph is object-oriented (i.e., it supports single inheritance, methods, etc.) and might make a good vehicle for developing an object-oriented shell for ORACLE. Our company has been considering doing just that. The current Prograph-ORACLE interface just provides the OCI primitives and a simple demo.

Of course, this could be pursued on any OOP platform, such as C++ or CLOS.

The whole idea of creating hybrid OOP/relational systems is intriquing. From a design perspective, there are several strategies one might employ on the intended user. A set of DBA classes might include tablespaces, files, segments, useres, and so on, while a set of user classes might emphasize tables, cursors, etc.

--Tom Cloney
-- Viadoc Received on Thu Mar 31 1994 - 15:38:23 CEST

Original text of this message